Join now - be part of our community!

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ISMADDER
Visitor

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

Any Date yet For ITV PLAYER and CHANNEL 4 ON DEMAND ?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

made thread a sticky

Tags (5)
337 REPLIES 337
chimel3
Visitor

Has anyone heard anything further about getting these channels on Sony Bravia TVs?

I bought mine in January, and chose this model purposely because it would allow me to watch this sort of content. I didn't realise at the time that this had complications.

Sony may very well want us to update our brand new TVs to even newer TVs, but it's not going to happen. If this service doesn't arrive I will feel pretty hard done by. It will also be the last time I purchase a Sony TV.

Is this the same reason why the 5 Demand content allows us to view only a subset of the content of 5 Demand if you go to the website?

Catmambo
Contributor

At the moment - no TV manufacturer is offering ITV and 4oD and indeed we are the only people offering Five as far as I'm aware. This shows the challenges that the industry faces in offering these services right now...

I actually had my update meeting with Channel 5 yesterday and content rights are as much a frustration to them as they are to us. At the moment, most Hollywood rights holders do not let them stream all their content to TV's. Home grown content is different as are the Australian soaps. You'll see the same for content on ITV and 4OD on PS3 as well, its not a mirror copy of their respective PC/Youtube service either.

Totally understand your frustration, but hopefully this goes someway to clarify things a little. That said we are working hard to bring new partners to the platform so as soon as we have news to share, we'll let you know.

Thanks

lyegrove
Visitor

I'm still unclear as to why the internet TV services (4OD and ITV Player) are available on a games platform and not on an internet enabled TV made by the same manufacturer.  It's akin to discovering that you could play some games on the Bravia but not on a PS3...

lyegrove
Visitor

Ok, but perhaps you could be more specific? Don't assume that your users don't have a degree of understanding in matters of a fiscal or technical nature. A clearer idea of why investment in providing TV access to the gaming platform rather than the Bravia range has taken priority would be welcome. Those who have invested in your products today may be less keen to maintain brand loyalty if a clear idea of development/direction isn't forthcoming. 

Catmambo
Contributor

Number of different reasons. Afraid we can't go into any more detail on public forums.

woodface7
Explorer

I get the impression that Sony Bravia are really keen to deliver on this. They have given us more than their rivals. and may deserve the least of the blame.

Perhaps we should be badgering ITV and Channel4 instead. Their execs need pressuring to remember how important this platform is to them in reaching viewers, advertisers and sponsors.

Of course the 'content providers' like US megacorps may be the real roadblock - and they won't give a stuff what we think.

iagibso49

Weird. 2 platforms made by the same company.

TK9999
New

Like many others on this forum, I also recently bought my Bravia TV on the understanding that 4OD and ITV.com were 'coming soon' .

The YouTube widget is a bit of a red herring. It's pretty difficult to navigate YouTube on the Bravia interface, and only has very limited 4OD and ITV.com content anyway.

For instance, if you want to catch-up on Channel 4's 'Campus' comedy series, I can see no easy way of doing this via the Bravia. Looks like I need to go back to plugging a laptop into the TV to watch these catch-up services. I guess at least the Bravia offers a fair number of options for connecting a laptop, although it is a vastly inferior viewing experience.

As a final point, I have to say that the iPlayer expereince on the Bravia is awesome, especially the iPlayer HD services. Please just hurry up and add 4OD and ITV.com.

Thx

PS - just joined the Facebook group "COME ON SONY, when is ITV Player and 4OD coming to Sony Bravia Internet TVs"

drkcwu

Have just got a 37EX403 at a great price and love it, really pleased with it. However, didn't do sufficient research and assumed 4OD & ITV player would be available. Feel a bit foolish as I've been telling in-laws and anyone else who'll listen that IETVs with on demand viewing are the way forward. Hats off to the BBC iplayer.

I'm glad to hear this lack of 4OD & ITV is not permanent and that I will not have to buy a new TV in the near future. Just patiently waiting. Hurry up Sony, please.

Keepsweeping
Visitor

I have a few questions.

1. When does ITV Player and Channel 4 on demand arrive.

2. Will we be able to surf the net for all web sites? With an update to software?

3. Are you going to bring in the remote with qwerty keys as the Americans have?

Come on Sony We know you are the best, now prove it!! If it's bad news then tell us!! We are grown ups, we can take it!!