Join now - be part of our community!

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ISMADDER
Visitor

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

Any Date yet For ITV PLAYER and CHANNEL 4 ON DEMAND ?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

made thread a sticky

Tags (5)
337 REPLIES 337
TK9999
New

I recently got this email response from Sony Support:

"Sony provides a platform for services such as i-player, 4 On Demand and ITV.com to join us. The software is available for them if they wish to make their services available on Bravia Televisions. If you were looking for information on whether 4 On Demand and ITV are thinking about providing their services on Sony Bravia Televisions you will have to contact them for further details".

I've therefore just sent an email to 4OD (via their website), informing them of the above and asking for confirmation as to whether they're working on a widget for Sony Bravias. Link here

The ITV.com link is http://www.itv.com/contactus/itvcomfeedback/

+++++UPDATE++++++++++UPDATE++++++++++UPDATE++++++++++UPDATE+++++

I just got this back by email from Channel 4 Customer Support:

"Unfortunately, the 4oD service is not available to Sony Bravia TV users and there are currently no plans to bring the 4oD service to Sony Bravia's Internet TV. We at Channel 4 are always looking to improve our service and your enquiry is greatly appreciated"

Catmambo
Contributor

No update to share on ITV and C4 I'm afraid and due to the commerical sensitivity of this its not something we can discuss on an open forum in any detail I'm afraid as I'm sure you can appreciate.

In terms of updating the browser, is there something specific you are referring to? Things like flash will probably not be supported on the current generation as they place a very heavy load on the processor and you may well have seen Steve Jobs thoughts on flash, some of which i agree with.

If you have a 2011 TV you can use one the smartphone app which allows much easier text entry.

Thanks

Keepsweeping
Visitor

Thanks Catmambo

I assume that you are with Sony. Can you say that discussions are ongoing on this subject? If itv player/4OD does not come into frutition, will the update service software be open for third party use.

Thanks 

Catmambo
Contributor

We've been talking to them both for a long time - I'd love to switch on this service tomorrow, but unfortunately its not as straightforward as there are numerous challenges on both sides.

The analogy I normally use  when presenting is that BRAVIA Internet Video is much like a shopping centre owned by Sony. We own the building and rent out units to 3rd parties to deliver content to consumers. Sony are the gatekeeper rather than host but we obviously want to guarantee a quality experience for visitors so there need to be some controls in place - as per most quality app/video aggregation stores.

Thanks

bryfly
New

Hi Catmambo, I maybe talking rubbish, but from what i have read on this forum about various internet services that should be available in the bravia range, i think you may need to modify the following statement you made:-

"If you have a 2011 TV you can use one the smartphone app which allows much easier text entry".

If this follows the same route as some other internet functions such as Skype  where people thought they would be able to download it in the future  .... Should your post say .......................  "2011 model year only"

Customers are still buying 2010 models in 2011 that will not be able to receive some of the upcoming internet apps.... cheers

Keepsweeping
Visitor

Hi Catmambo

I hope that I am right in thinking that if Sony updated the ex503 series with a browser then surely all media websites would be available. If this is not the case, what about providing the customer with a means of inputting a URL address? If it is now released for PS3 then surely Bravia TV's cannot be far behind. Or am I simplying this too much?

Thanks

davidcragg
Visitor

2011 TVs that come with a browser application still don't support embedded video. To quote from their website:

Visit your favourite websites and search the Internet using a simple web browser (display of embedded video not supported)

Why? Well if Sony allow that to happen they would cease to control what and how you watch media content on a Sony television. This doesn't make commercial sense as it would allow users to go outside of the current walled garden and would potentially leak revenue generation to other service providers. The platform is built so Sony can maximise the revenue stream it generates from services such as Qriocity and its partnship with LoveFilm etc.

Why would they want to build a platform that allowed you to spend your money with another company? From a business perspective that just doesn't make sense.

Maybe in the future their will be a game changing event, but I can't see that happening for a long time - if ever!

Keepsweeping
Visitor

Hi Davidcragg

You are quite right, why spend out on a Sony Bravia internet tv if the media is going to be controlled and restricted by Sony?  Instead buy a media streaming box that you can input your own video sites and not be held back by any manufacturer. I do feel that the sales pitch that some manufacturers are putting out are misleading, by stating that "loads of video sites available". But not necessarily the sites that you want.

Thanks

Catmambo
Contributor

Bear in mind even when we offer an open TV like Google TV in the US, the networks block the content

http://news.cnet.com/8301-31001_3-20022463-261.html

So seemingly it has to be a controlled eco-system if you want to have content to watch....

Keepsweeping
Visitor

Hi Catmambo

I understand the broadcasters, but if they include the ads (that cannot be skipped) surely that is enough. I noticed that when using your PS3, ITV player has an input of postcode which I am sure can be ratified. Then broadcaster territories can be confirmed. Another way is to create free accounts with password protection.

All we can hope for is for the agreement ASAP that allowed Sony PS3 to install the interface to provide ITV Player etc. 

Thanks