Join now - be part of our community!

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ISMADDER
Visitor

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

Any Date yet For ITV PLAYER and CHANNEL 4 ON DEMAND ?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

made thread a sticky

Tags (5)
337 REPLIES 337
TK9999
New

I was given a demo of Samsung 'Smart TV' in my local department store today. The Smart TV has a browser and has no problem navigating to 4OD, ITV.com, etc. The salesman explained to me that Samsung have done a very good job with their broswer and that it has full support for Flash, meaning it can play all the on demand services. He then went on to say that the Sony rep had been in recently to tell him about the browser coming on new Sony TVs, but that they won't have Flash support. Unless I'm very much mistaken, that means that even the new generation of Sony TVs with browser functionality still won't play 4OD and ITV.com ???

Catmambo
Contributor

Lots of ways of delivering these kind of services, e.g. There are about 20+ flavours of BBC iPlayer although the 3 main versions are flash, h.264 and mheg as far as I'm aware.

lyegrove
Visitor

Let's cut out the smoke and mirrors, I've spoken to 4OD and it's clear that they have no plans to launch 40D via the Bravia range.  My Sony's going back to the store as I was sold it on the basis that there were plans to introduce the service in the future which is clearly not the case.

drkcwu

Been pleased with our 37EX403 and have now bought a 46EX503, some might say a bit foolishly because of this issue over 4od and itv player. It's hanging on the wall of our familty room (wireless dongle arrived yesterday and works fine). Now we're just hanging on for 4od & itv and hoping that we don't end up looking a pair of prats...

Keepsweeping
Visitor

Hi drkcwu

I have to say,don't hold your breath. I can't see that Sony will put much R&D into last

years model.

drkcwu

Thanks for cheering me up with that confidence. COME ON SONY!! PROVE US ALL WRONG!!

Catmambo
Contributor

Rest assured, bringing these two services to BRAVIA remains one of my priorities, but its not entirely in our control as there are a number of considerations we are having to work with... We continue to meet and engage with both broadcasters though.

Thanks

Keepsweeping
Visitor

Hi Catmambo

What I don't understand is another part of your own company has already sorted out the legalities by integrating ITV Player and 4OD into the PS3. So if it isn't the legalities what is it, I can't believe it is the technicalities. You imply it is some kind of copyright or territorial type of obstacle, if this is true then we may never see these facilties on our tv's.

Thanks

DanielMeeks
Visitor

Hi. This is my first post. We have just bought a KDL37EX723 Bravia along with a Sony Blue Ray Disc player BDP S770.

We are using the modem built into the blu ray to connect to our ISP wireless router. Having had a quick look through this thread my fears are confirmed!

BBCiPlayer has just vanished from the Home page. And I was under the impression that I would be able to add certain websites. Please can someone tell me how to get BBC iplayer back?

Overall I am VERY dissapointed with my purchase. There are many pay per view channels available, which I will not be using. Yet hardly any free content, which I could view via my PC.

Many programmes I can view on YouTube, on my PC, which are linked directly to their parent channel, like 4OD, or SLV are not available. I can watch 50 minute episodes of programmes on my PC.

I can watch 50 minute episodes using Microsofts Silverlight player via my PC etc etc.

Ive paid a lot of money for this Bravia Set up, and I can basically only watch short Youtube clips.........? And Five on Demand?

I would never have bought this, If the Sales Rep in the Store had informed me of the disabling limitations of this TV.

Im thinking of demanding my money back.

Message was edited by: DanielMeeks

Message was edited by: DanielMeeks

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Daniel  - Welcome to the forum. I think its explained ealier in the thread but basically rights for TV shows are determined on a device by device basis, so Youtube don't have the rights to show all premium content on the TV in this case.

This is the same for all manufacturers official Youtube applications, indeed C4 and ITV to date have not launched a dedicated service on any TV. I think we offer the best range of dedicated video services compared to other manufacturers and there are only 3 SVOD/TVOD paid services (Lovefilm, Qriocity and Berlin Philharmonic) compared to probably 15-20 'free' services, so its absolutely weighted on the side of free, with more free services to come.

Keepsweeping - :slight_smile: Sorry I can't go into the details I'm afraid, but like any discussion, its always a 2 way street.

thanks