Join now - be part of our community!

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ISMADDER
Visitor

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

Any Date yet For ITV PLAYER and CHANNEL 4 ON DEMAND ?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

made thread a sticky

Tags (5)
337 REPLIES 337
helsstap
Explorer

Daniel, I think you ought to seek a refund. I've been on a two week hunt for a number of TVs for the company I work for and the on demand feature was a priority.  I've been as far up the chain with Sony Europe as I can get and no one was prepared to give a positive answer regarding Channel 4 On Demand. Tried a different direction and managed to speak to someone at 4OD and they at least seemed to know what was happening. It's not coming to Bravia. We're now rolling out server based access to european and US web TV over a LAN to clients but clearly not a domestic solution although you could hook your laptop up and use the Sony as a large monitor.

Helen

Bartley1
Visitor

Helen, your note makes no sense. Channel 4 are state owned and don't operate in any country apart from the UK, so why would they launch in the US and Europe first? Secondly, they have no broadcast rights outside of the UK so would have no content to show either. Thirdly a LAN is a localised network within a home or a collage for example...http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_area_network which doesn't explain how they would distribute the content.

If Channel 4 told you the above, I'd guess the person you spoke to didn't actually know what thy were talking about and is thus your statement is incorrect..

Sure its a pain that Channel 4 isn't available yet, but respectfully, I'm more likely to believe a forum admin than someone with 1 post I'm afraid..

Keepsweeping
Visitor

Hi Guys

I think that we should wait for the Google TV box to hit our shores, this (I hope) will overcome all of our problems. It will be about best price £100 so we will be able to browse ALL of the web,

Thanks

helsstap
Explorer

Apologies Bartley if I've confused you.  I was looking through the thread because we were sourcing internet ready units for a residential unit linked to a conference centre (in UK). I'd picked up on the concerns about the content within Bravia but was wondering what was, and was not, available. Chasing the 4OD thread was just one line of enquiry. In the end we've gone for a server based approach to allow staff/delegates to access what ever they want and included the US as we have 3 offices across the pond, I know 4OD is home based access only.

Keepsweeping
Visitor

Hi Guys

Does anyone know that if ITVplayer or 4OD arrives how it will be implemented? Will it be either as a software update or an internet content loading.

DanielMeeks
Visitor

I quite like watching Time Team.

If I type 'Time Team Specials' into YouTube. On a PC

I get a list of all of the Time Team Specials.

The full 50 minute programs.

If I type the same, 'Time Team Specials' into YouTube on my new SONY BRAVIA INTERNET TV,

In the first 30 or 40 results, there is not even a clip of Time Team to see.

It just shows some clips of some kids catoons with TIME, or TEAM in the title..........

[Never mind the Full shows.]

I WOULD SUGGEST TO SONY AND THEIR RE-SELLERS THAT YOU ARE ACTUALLY IN BREACH OF THE '1967 MISREPRESENTATION ACT' BY CONTINUING TO SELL THESE TELEVISIONS, AS 'INTERNET' TELEVISIONS, IN THE MANNER WHICH YOU DO.

Message was edited by: DanielMeeks

Message was edited by: DanielMeeks

Catmambo
Contributor

Sorry not clear on how they are being misrepresented? I don't think any content provider guarantees their content portfolio across all platforms, but happy to be corrected...

We offer content portals with the content being provided by aggregators such as the BBC, Five etc. I put a bit in the FAQ about the different content available on the PC versus the TV as simply rights don't carry across all platforms automatically. Sony have no editorial control over the content within a service. That is solely down to the rights holder - BBC etc

Hope this clears things up

profile.country.GB.title
jazuk1
Explorer

PS3 has these so it cant be simply a rights issue, just like all pc's can use it.

Come on why would something be offered if it can not be used, BBC is on both platforms, and even on the digitv media server that sony has listed as an appropriate upnp media server (checking what else this server software can link too.

For note earlier channel 4 is not state owned. BBC is and get revenue from licence payers irrespect if they make any good programs (personnaly I rarely watch BBC itself). Others are not and get revenue from advertising, so they want to increase the the renue they can get by increasing to new media streams. BBC gets nothing in streaming so unsure why BBC is spending good licence fees on rolling out on demand. I can see that all others like ITV, channel 4, 5 and all others that advertise getting onto the on demand side and throw in a few adverts thus increase revenue.

So get a PS3 used from ebay (u dont get on 5 demand but the bravia does) or for £120 get a emachine pc from ebuyer. Im getting a xbox360 to try and see whats available on that.

Catmambo
Contributor

@Jazuk1 so this is a different issue - as mentioned there are other issues which are being worked on with the other broadcasters. The rights issues simply limits what they can show rather than the service joining BRAVIA.

Channel  4 ownership is a little different to that of ITV - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Channel_4#Channel_Four_Television_Corporation

There are no free dedicated services on Xbox as far as I'm aware. Sky, Xbox movies things like that are all paid for. I don't think they offer even iPlayer?

timple71
Visitor

If I was running C4 and ITV I would be falling over myself to get my on-line platforms on Sony. Personally I hardly watch any live tv anymore and find myself using the BBC iplayer nearly all the time. I haven't got a clue what is on ITV and C4 anymore.

Then again what do I know? Perhaps its naive to think TV execs would actually want people to watch their programs.........