Join now - be part of our community!

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ISMADDER
Visitor

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

Any Date yet For ITV PLAYER and CHANNEL 4 ON DEMAND ?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

made thread a sticky

Tags (5)
337 REPLIES 337
Catmambo
Contributor

Like me - I think Dragons Den is the only think I watch live these days. The great thing about catch-up TV is that you can discover new shows whereas the traditional EPG is a very managed expereince only allowing you to watch shows on TV at any one time.

The BBC have some very exciting plans for the next 12 months, unfortunately I can't share them, but I've been blown away by some of their concepts.

Catching up with the other broadcasters in the next week or so, so hopefully push things forward with them also..

Thanks

eas37s02
New

Hi Catmabo,

It would be useful to understand why itv player is available on Humax Freesat boxes and not Sony Bravia televisions?

Thanks

Catmambo
Contributor

Looking at screenshots, looks like they are have hacked together an MHEG solution - much like iplayer on last years BRAVIA. MHEG isn't exactly pretty as its fairly old technology and would only work on TV's and not our Blu-ray players, so far from an ideal solution from our point of view for a number of different reasons.

profile.country.GB.title
bradleyh10
New

Hi Catmambo,

I have a Sony BDP-370.

I have been following this thread for quite some time now (via RSS)

If it fair to say that ITV and 4OD will never come to this player?

Brad

TK9999
New

Just heard about this new device: http://www.bid.tv/PromotionsPage.aspx?Page=intempoevolve

£200 to convert any digital TV into a fully functional internet TV. Clever touch-pad remote control with full qwerty keyboard. Browse any site, stream media, download and use apps.

No doubt there will be many more such devices soon, probably at even lower price points.

This should get TV manufactuers into action.

grathw8
Visitor

Hi Catmambo

It seams to me that IPTV is in it's infancy and basically doesn't do what people want it to do yet. When HbbTV gets released next year will you be able to up grade this TV or will you have to buy the latest version of your TVs? I will not be buying any TV until it has all the functions that I thought IPTV would have until I started looking into them.

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi grathw8

I would largely agree that its still in its infancy, one major challenge is getting broadcasters to fundamentally change their business in so far as there will now never be un-connected TV's so understandably they are a little anxious about making sure that they don't cause problems for themselves in the longer terms by launching something rushed that has future implications.

The issue in the UK is that no broadcasters are supporting HbbTV as far as i'm aware - indeed I think that all the 2011 UK BRAVIA's are HbbTV compatible, but there is no broadcaster support for this platform, UK broadcasters unfortunately choosing to go down the Youview path which as far as Sony are concerned is a non-starter. I think Germany have live services using HbbTv and possibly the French also.

However remember that many services are actually backwardly compatible so you needn't actually wait for 2012 to buy a TV as services we launch next year ( and we have one lined up which could be truly incredibly if the pull it off!) will be backwardly compatible with 2011 devices as well.

Thanks

Capnbob
Explorer

Very, very, very frustrated by this, as I love watching BBC iPlayer, 4OD and ITV Player via my Playstation 3 (PS3) and when it came to purchasing a new television for our Kitchen I went for an internet TV (Sony Bravia because it's the best) and I naturally assumed that all 3 services would be available.

I understand that challenges that are outlined by Catmambo (I work in the industy too), however, I'm staggered that a company of Sony's power and influence could not make it happen.

To quote Jean Luc Picards "Make it so Sony".

skottiedog
Visitor

I want to add my voice to this thread, I just bought the TV from JohnLewis, the Sony guy

in the shop was a bit sketchy on what would happen about the TV players that weren't yet available

but as it is Sony, I felt reasonalby comfortable thinking that the mighty Sony would "make it happen" at some point.

Now I'm not so sure.

I wonder why BBC iplayer can be there but ITV not ? Seems ridiculous.

profile.country.GB.title
Davidavitz
New

I just thought I'd add my pennies-worth. Love the TV, love iPlayer, but sooo frustrated at teh lack of ITV, Ch4 catch-up