Join now - be part of our community!

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
ISMADDER
Visitor

When are ITV Player and 4OD coming to BRAVIA?

Any Date yet For ITV PLAYER and CHANNEL 4 ON DEMAND ?

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Thalamus.

made thread a sticky

Tags (5)
337 REPLIES 337
Catmambo
Contributor

The BBC haven't yet launched the HD MHEG service (basically the 2010 BRAVIA iPlayer service), but they assure me it is coming.

Thanks

iagibso49

But I can select the BBC iPlayer HD channel using my Humax. It shows programmes available in HD and SD.

Message was edited by: iagibso49

Catmambo
Contributor

It presumably uses a browser, in the same way the 2010 Sony Blu-ray players and 2011 BRAVIA & Blu-ray players do. 2010 BRAVIA was the exception.

Thanks

iagibso49

Well I hope it comes soon.

Goobers11
Visitor

I bought my Sony Bluray player on the strength of being told by the Sony shop that they would be launching 4OD and ITV player soon. I think I may return mine if they have not arrived by the end of March.

iagibso49

My £1000 Sony Bravia TV is only a few months old and already it feels out-of-date. They say they have switched technologies for the 2011 models to web-based interfaces for the on-demand servies. Does this mean they're going to abandon the 2010 Bravias? I'm not happy about this.

Catmambo
Contributor

Of couse technology will advance year on year, thats natural. However we want as many people as possible to be able to receive new services. Thus have already launched two new ones this year on top of the three we launched in December and we'll continue to make them available for all 2010 devices where technically possible.

iagibso49

Technology will advance year on year. However an out-of-date 4 month old TV seems ridiculous and unfit for purpose. Full support over the space of at least year to bring the TV up to spec is not unreasonable for something costing so much.

bob_mcbob
Visitor

I have been paying a keen interest in the forums here since i got my tv almost a year ago and posted this topic...

http://www.sony.co.uk/discussions/message/629290#629290

Seems that Sony think its normal behaviour for people to change there TV's every year or so - which in my opinion is absolutly ridiculous. If I pay £500+ (which compared to some of you is probably relativly cheap) for a TV from a huge firm like Sony i dont expect that within a year its out of date.

I totally agree with iagibso49 "Full support over the space of at least year to bring the TV up to spec is not unreasonable for something costing so much" and I would actually argue that they should be looking at continuing development past a year.

The main reasons of having a tv on the Internet is a) to get more content and b) to keep the TV and its firmware up to date??

It annoys me that alot of the questions people have asked about the 2010 models seemed to be answered with the same line of "the newer models will do it".

I understand that technology its changing extreamly fast, but considering you say the 2010 Blueray players had more up to date technology seems quite insulting.... I pay alot of money for a TV, yet a 100 quid blueray player which will only operate with the TV will do more? They have the ability to stream more file types (Avi's etc) and according to Catmambo use better technology for the online services.

I cant imagine that Sony will develope the 2010 models any further, instead they would prefer for us to spend more money with them on a new TV and persumably dump our old ones leading to more waste and pollution.

I dont expect Sony to update my TV forever, however the things people are asking for (better file support, more on demand services) are things that should have been done in the first place and are not beyond Sony to implement with the 2010 range if thery could be bothered.....

Rant over.

Batfinkk

Am thinking of getting a BRAVIA and keen to understand what video services are available on the Blu-ray that aren't on the TV? I thought they both had the same?