Join now - be part of our community!

Problem with KDL-20S3000

SOLVED
lenjane
Explorer

Problem with KDL-20S3000

Oxford Transmitter.  TV will not pick up all available digital channels, specifically ITV, Channel 4, Film 4. Also, majortiy of non BBC channels break up.  All BBC channels good and pick up BBC Oxford.  Tested aerial on another TV (not Sony) and picks up all channels from that aerial and no channels break up.  Have tried to complete factory reset, but not an option in settings.  Tried tutorial from Sony, but at the stage where you press the TV power button, TV turns off and stays off.  Tested Remote (ED009 supplied with TV) following tutorial from Sony and all works.  So not remote, not aerial, must be TV, but TV used to work fine, all available channels.  Anyone able to help?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

I 'think' the differnce between the 3 and the 5 is the thickness of the copper inside the aerial lead - 0.5mm and .8mm respectively. 

View solution in original post

lenjane
Explorer

Thanks, I'm taking the ugly brown cable into a local company and they will make me one up in white - thought that was safest as I will then know I've definitely got the correct cable.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I am also on the Oxford transmitter and experiencing no problems on my Sony TV. 

Do you have any channels on the TV in the 800 range?  See HERE for some info if you do.

To factory reset your TV, you will need to go to Settings > Set-up > Auto Start Up

Auto Start Up.jpg

Give that a go and see.

Cheers

lenjane
Explorer

Hi, thanks for your response.  No 800 channels on TV - it is pre 2012.  I tried Auto Start up several times with no luck.  I've also tried manual tuning, following the instructions in the manual, where you find a channel that is picking up signal (i.e. 29, 55, etc.) and I get some channels, anything from 5 to 73 on each specific channel number, but still won't pick up all, i.e. never picks up Film 4.  It can't be a problem with the transmitter or aerial as another TV (Bush - also pre 2012) picks up all available channels and pictures/sound don't break up, when plugged into the same aerial and electrical socket. That's why I think it is something wrong with the TV, which I thought reverting to Factory settings would solve.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

That was my next suggestion - manual tuning:

http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/coveragechecker/manual_retuning

Are you able to get signal information from both Sony and Bush TVs and compare results?

- Signal Strength

- Signal Quality

- On Sony TV - Pre and Post Vertibri?

Even though the Bush TV picks things up ok - it still can be aerial cable.  Sometimes certain TVs require a slighly higher signal than others.  Its can also come down to how the TV processes the signal in regards to quality (i.e. error corrections). 

Can you test using another aerial cable anyhow?  Have no other devices connected to the TV (i.e. from SCART, RCA or HDMI etc).

Trying to rule out other avenues on why this is, before coming to the conclusion of hardware fault.. Of which due the age, the repair cost would not be economical I would imagine.

Cheers

lenjane
Explorer

Hi, thanks once again.  I tried a different aerial cable and did another auto start up - same number of channels as previously (no ITV main channel, no Film 4) and initially looked better but then starting breaking up the same.  Haven't got the comparison with the Bush - will do later, but 1 interesting point.  On the original aerial pre vertibri is 3.something, but with the different aerial it is 6.something.  The signal strength is high on both.   I'm going to move the TV to another room where I have a newer Sony TV and see if putting it on that aerial makes any difference.  My thinking is still it's a fault with the TV and like you, believe it would not be worth repairing as it is way out of warrnty and I could but the Bush in it's place.  I'll give you an update later, enjoy your weekend and thanks once again.  One final thing - it states UHF and VHF for digital in the instruction manual - could it be on the wrong band?  However, I can't see anywhere to switch that?

lenjane
Explorer

Sorry, forgot to add - no equipment connected to the TV.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Just to confirm, there are no reported issues/complaints on the Oxford transmitter:

https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Oxford

Would be interesting to know what the post-viterbi is (i wish it was an easier word to spell !) - as this is after the TV has done its signal error correction.

So the signal strength is high, what about the signal quality?

One trick, move the aerial cable as far away from other cables (i.e Power cables)

Cheers

lenjane
Explorer

Hi thanks again.  Yes kept the electric cable away from aerial cable (found that on the internet).  I have finally solved the problem, well nearly.  I have put an aerial cable on that a TV tech made up for us and I can now get all of the stations, including ITV and Film 4 (relieved).  However, I need to get a new aerial cable because this one is very ugly and too long.  My final question - what cable do I need to get?

thanks again

Anonymous
Not applicable

HI there

Most aerial cables 'should' do fine.  However my advice is to go for one that is 'shielded'.  The following 2 are the ones that I use - but it depends on length you need and the end connections (Male > Female etc).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Audio-Video-Cables/Mountain-Female-Socket-Aerial-Coaxial-Connector-Metal/...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LINDY-Premium-Aerial-Freeview-Cable/dp/B0033QOX4W/

Cheers

PS: I am really glad that it seems to be just the cable itself. 

lenjane
Explorer

Thank you.  Really weird though as the white original cable I had was 75 ohm which is what Sony state in their instruction manual.  It is 3c 2v and I've looked on the web and it's recommending 5c 2 c, which apparently is higher grade?

Thanks for all your help.