Join now - be part of our community!

Changing HD, videocard and memory

Pat_D
Visitor

Changing HD, videocard and memory

Hi All,

I have a vaio FE31m laptop, and I was wondering if it is possible to change the hard disk and the video card. The hard disk in this laptop is a 160 gb 4200 rpm FUJITSU, and is kinda slow by now :). Are there any compatible hard drives for this model? I've searched the net, but couldn't find any info. I'd prefer to update to a 7200 rpm.

The graphics card is a nvidia 7600 GO with 128 mb dedicated memory. Is it possible to also change this card?

I've upgraded the memory, now have 2 gb which runs @ 677 mhz.

Manufacturer :Corsair
Part Number :VS1GSDS667D2
Type :DDR2-SDRAM PC2-5300 (333 MHz) - [DDR2-666]

Supported Frequencies :200 MHz, 266 MHz, 333 MHz

But according to pcwizard2008 it runs at 333 Mhz? I'm a bit confused here...

So any help on these things would be great :grin:

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Pat_D and welcome to Club Vaio.

Hard Drive - Yes
Graphics Chip - No

Any 2.5 inch laptop hard drive will fit as long as you buy the SATA version and it is the standard size (100 X 60 X 9.5mm). Check that it is only 9.5mm thick as some of the larger 400/500GB drives are 12.5mm thick. I think 300GB is the biggest that will fit at the moment - it is also the biggest that runs at 7,200 RPM.

Have a look here for a good selection: -

http://www.span.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=23_512

Unfortunately you cannot upgrade the Graphics as the nVidia GeForce Go 7600 is soldered into the motherboard and would cost more than a new laptop to replace - even if anyone would try it.

The memory is OK because DDR stands for "Double Data Rate". The memory only actually runs at 333MHz but it uses both sides of the frequency curve to double the amount of data it can process. This gives the "equivalent" of a 666MHz processor working with SDR. It is a nice bit of marketing by the memory manuracturers!!

:wink:

Pat_D
Visitor

Okay thanks for the info!

I will have a look at the hard drives. Too bad that the graphics card cannot be upgraded. Then again, I think this one will still do for at least another year :). By then I can always try to sell the laptop :).

Is there a vaio howto how to replace the hard drive on your own? Because I'm sure that if I let a company do it, they'll charge me up to heaven for this one ;).

Cheers!

unovis
Visitor

Hard drives are usually pretty easy to replace. MNot as easy as memory though I guess.... :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Pat,

Fortunately it is a five-minute job for the FE-Series. You don't even have to open the laptop.

Pat_D
Visitor

Sweet! Ty m8!
Now only thing left is to find a 300 Gb internal hdd here in the Netherlands. Biggest I've seen is a 200 gb. Fujitsu introduced a 7200 rpm 320 gb, but I think that one may take a while.

Thanks!

leethepee
Visitor

With regards to replacing the HD, is there a similar guide for a FZ series laptop?

Also, and probably more of an issue, how can you install Vista on the new HD when Sony don't distrubute Vista on a disc when laptop are purchased.

I also created a backup disc for all Vaio Apps, so if I managed to get over the new HD issue, do you simply put the CD into the drive and let vista re-install all the apps onto the new HD?

Finally, is it possible to upgrade the RAM on a FZ18M Vaio to 4GB's?

Thanks
Lee

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Lee,

I don't have pictures, but I am fairly sure the FZ-Series is exactly the same as the FE-Series. The Hard Drive Cover is just held by one screw as for the FE-Series.

The only difference is that the Hard Drive cover is in the bottom LEFT-hand corner.

You have two choices to reinstall Vista: -

1. Use the Recovery Discs to do a Complete Reinstall. This will take your Vaio back to the condition it was in when new with Vista and all the Sony preinstalled Applications.

2. Use something like Acronis True Image to copy your existing Settings/Updates/Configuration - this way you will not have to install all the MS Updates, Vaio Updates, User Info, settings etc. Similarly, you will not have to uninstall any of the Sony software you dont want and have already removed.

Both Sony in your model's FZ-19M Specifications and Crucial on their website HERE say that your model will only support 2048MB of RAM with a maximum of 1GB per slot. You can try more at your own risk but 2GB is plenty for most uses.

leethepee
Visitor

I have opened the Vaio Recovery Utility and printed below the help topics. Can you assit me with the comments I have below:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
About the VAIO recovery utility

January in 2007
------------------------------------------------------------------------

This Help file describes what you can do using the "VAIO recovery utility", and it explains the words that are relevant to recovery.

For more details about operating this utility, see the manual that come with your computer.

Contents
-----------------------------------------------------------
1. What you can do with this utility
2. What is recovery
- Hard disk recovery
- Recovery using a recovery disc
3. About the discs necessary to create a recovery disc
4. About Backup
5. About the [Option] menu
6. Cautions
- Cautions about operation to recovery area
2. What is recovery?

In order to restore computer hard disks to their factory default settings,
there are two types of recovery.

- Recovery using a recovery disc

Using a "recovery disc", which you crate with this utility, it is also possible to recover your computer. In case operation of your computer becomes unstable or system data is corrupted, we strongly recommend creating a recovery disc in advance. By executing "system recovery" using a recovery disc, you can also delete the area that is secured on the hard disk as a recovery area and use all of the hard disk area as a C: drive or 😧 drive.

Is this recovery disc purely to re-install sony apps that were on the PC when I first bought it?

4. About backups

The standard backup software "Windows backup" of Windows Vista can be run.
Before executing recovery, backup important data.
For more details about "Windows backup", see "Windows help support".

I have performed a Windows Backup but from what I can see, all I have backed up is the documents and settings of my laptop in its current state

Basically what I am trying to say is, assuming my HD had formatted and I managed to re-install Vista successfully, I think I can restore my personal files. But how do I go about re-installing Vista without a Vista CD? I can see no program on my PC that allows me to do this.

Can you help? Sorry that this is such a long email, just sort of worried that my computer may die on me and I have no real way to restore Vista without being given a Vista CD.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Lee,

I suggest you download the Recovery Manual for your model from here: -

ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/pub/Manuals/Recovery/2007Q2_R_1.pdf

Basically you need to: -

1. Create Recovery Discs
2. Backup Data
3. Insert the new hard drive
4. Recover from the Recovery Discs (when you can't start Windows)
5. Carry out all updates
6. Recover Data

Vista will be installed from the System Recovery Discs as part of the Recovery. This disc contains the Vista Operating System as well as all the Sony Preinstalled Software. You do not have (or need) a seperate Vista disc.