Join now - be part of our community!

XPERIA phone update

milesfastguy2
Visitor

XPERIA phone update

ok this is a general question for all Xperia phones, in fact all the phones out there. Suppose there is a phone (lets say Xperia 1) which is not launched in my country (UAE). Suppose i buy it from overseas and use it in UAE. Will i be getting OTA updates in UAE?

Do u think there is a problem in buying a phone from overseas (retail or online) and then using it in a country where it was not supposed to launch?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.AT.title
skycamefalling
Contributor

The system updates aren't an issue, the phone receives the updates for the region it was made for, regardless of where it is currently. If I bring my phone for Austria to the US then I'll still get the updates for Austria whenever they are on the server.

One potential problem might be that the phone's radio misses frequencies that your network provider uses. This sometimes was an issue when importing phones from Asia or the US to Europe. I'm not sure if it still is a problem or if nowadays the phones support all frequencies, though. At least I had no issues using an XZ2 made for Taiwan here in Austria.

Another problem will be the warranty. For example, Sony provides the same warranty conditions for phones sold and bought in the European Union. But if I chose to import a phone meant for the Asian market then Sony Europe won't provide warranty for it.

profile.country.LT.title
EUPHORIC2017
New

@milesfastguy2 wrote:

Suppose i buy it from overseas and use it in UAE. Will i be getting OTA updates in UAE?

If product is selling in specific location like smartphones usually companies releasing updates too, this is part of support which you getting when you buying it. But in every markets are own rules. By the way if you had Xperia before and you got OTA updates i don't think Xperia 1 will be exception. Offcourse i'm not from Sony and what Sony thinking about that i don't know Slightly_smiling_Face

I checked right now in United Arab Emirates Sony Mobile web site, last model which is mentioned is Xperia XZ2, when in others locations already is presented Xperia 1 model. Also i don't think Sony will say you this information, usually information about new products/softwares release (inlcuded dates, locations) it's secret and confidential for rivalry with others manufactors and ect. Slightly_smiling_Face

Jonas
Master

Hi @milesfastguy2, thank you for your question!

@skycamefalling pretty much covered everything. If you import a device from a different market, the software in the device is meant for that market. In most cases this does not matter that much as it's the same software in general. However, for services such as VoLTE and voWiFi that may require a specific customization of the software to be able to work together with the operator(s) in your market that supports this, you may not be able to use these services. This is of course very specific.

Another great point that @skycamefalling brings up is the warranty. The device must be launched in the specific market and in the part of the world where I'm located (Europe) the device has to be bought in Europe to have it serviced here, in warranty and the device has be released in that market as well.

I hope that helps! Slightly_smiling_Face

AndyCalling
Visitor

Sorry to hijack, especially as I've bought an Xperia 10 Plus and not a 1, but you mention that the warranty for devices bought in the EU will not be valid outside the EU. This is a problem because I've bought mine in the UK, where it will stay as I live here, but the UK is about to leave the EU. Are you saying that once it does, my warranty will become invalid if I try to use it in the UK where I bought the phone? If so, this will be a problem and would likely involve Trading Standards if I need to claim in the future. Please clarify. Also, once the UK leaves the EU will my warranty be valid in the rest of the EU still as, when I bought it, the UK was (and is still for a short while) part of the EU? Also, for others, will their EU warranties bought in other EU member states whilst the UK is part of the EU continue to be valid in the UK after Brexit?

This could be very important info so a bit of clarity would be helpful.

Jonas
Master

Hi @AndyCalling!

Thank you for your question and I do see now that I forgot to include some very important information in my previous reply and hopefully can help to answer your question.

The correct information about warranty for devices bought within EEA (European Economic Area) and Switzerland or the Republic of Turkey, can be found below.

If you have purchased your Product in a country member of the European Economic Area
(EEA) or in Switzerland or the Republic of Turkey, and such Product was intended for sale
in the EEA or in Switzerland or in Turkey, you can have your Product serviced in any EEA
country or in Switzerland or in Turkey, under the warranty conditions prevailing in the
country in which you require servicing, provided that an identical Product is sold in such
country by an authorised Sony distributor.

This information is available in the warranty terms for the United Kingdom and as far as I know, the United Kingdom is a part of EEA and EU (for now), so the United Kingdom leaving the European Union should not impact your warranty or any other customer(s) that either bought their device(s) in the United Kingdom, or needs to service their device bought in a country that is a part of EEA, Switzerland or the Republic of Turkey while in the United Kingdom.

I apologize for not including all this information in my previous post and I hope this reply explains more in detail regarding the warranty. If there are any further questions regarding this, I would recommend that you get in touch with your Local support team as they are better informed than I am regarding the warranty terms for the United Kingdom!

I hope that helps and have a great Thursday! Slightly_smiling_Face

AndyCalling
Visitor

Thanks for that. If this is all EEA based I think we'll probably be alright. No need to apologise, Brexit is a very confusing thing and it's so easy to trigger related mini-panics in us Brits right now. It's not your fault, unless you're David Cameron of course... 

Jonas
Master

@AndyCalling, haha, yeah, it's very confusing and I'm not really sure how everyone will be impacted by this or if it is the standard panic and in the end, it's barely a difference if you are in or out of the EU.

I should probably read up on it, just need to find some good source. I can also promise you that I'm not David Cameron! Slightly_smiling_Face

Have a great Monday!

profile.country.NL.title
Strampke
Expert

Not that it has anything to do with the subject but GB nowadays has a great resemblance with the latest work of art of Banksey.

Your all moving in the same direction more or less and on your way you're spliting up, resulting in the destruction of this work of art.

Which in itself can be a new work of art depending how one appreciates the outcome.

Grumph, strange guys those Britts, strange guys, grumph