Join now - be part of our community!

Audio from headphone socket AND the built-in speakers

profile.country.GB.title
bwriter
Explorer

Audio from headphone socket AND the built-in speakers

I can not believe Sony have done this. When you plug a jack into the headphone socket on the KDL-32CX520, the built-in speakers mute. What on earth for? Why not leave them both on and allow the volumes to be controlled individually?

Having impaired hearing I like to listen with my wireless headphones while my wife listens normally, via the in-built speakers. Please, somebody, tell me this is possible.

Please keep language friendly :slight_smile:

Message was edited by: -Soup-

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.en_GB.title
Bravia55HX

Hi,

i can understand your frustration however this is perfectly normal to expect the headphone jack to cancel out the sound for the speakers on the tv, having said that there may be a workaround but i would need to know if you have anything like a home cinema system or a hi fi in the home and if so what is it?

thanks.

profile.country.GB.title
bwriter
Explorer

I do not have a home cinema system. My hi-fi is based around a Yamaha RX-450 stereo receiver. It may be that soen time in the future I'd want to feed audio into the Yamaha but, at the moment, my concern is listening via Sennheiser RS 130 Wireless headphones. Try as I might I can find no info, from Sennheiser or anyone else, on the input impedence or expected signal levels for these headphones. But they work reliably from any headphone socket I tried them on so I must assume they have an input impedence of a a few tens of Ohms.

If audio can be picked off one of the other sockets on the TV, and it is at a suitable level, then it would seem all I need is an adapter.

If any Sony designers are listening, why not feed the headphone socket from a point before the volume control so as to give complete flexibility to those like myself who need to use headphones in tandem with other TV viewers? Surely all wireless headphones, along with many wired headphones, have their own volume control.

A tempting strategy is to rewire the headphone socket so that plugging in headphones does not cut off the TV's internal speakers. But that will need to wait for the expiry of the warranty.

Glad of any assistance you can give me, Bravia.

Bravia55HX

Hi again,

right connect your headphones as you would normally to your tv.

in addition if you do not have one, get a fibre optic lead and connect this from your tv to your yamaha amp.

this way you can listen to the tv via headphones and your lovely wife can listen to the tv with the speakers from the amp!.

job done.

profile.country.GB.title
bwriter
Explorer

Thanks for that. I'll give it a go.

Bravia55HX

Hi again,

i know it works, i took the liberty to try it first!!

have fun.

Leo1943
New

Hi

I have a Sony TV 43XE8077SU. How can I get signal from the headphone output and inbuilt speakers at the same time?

Leo