Join now - be part of our community!

Sony's Image Retention 'advice' - Don't watch TV?

profile.country.GB.title
Happyrobot

Sony's Image Retention 'advice' - Don't watch TV?

I recently bought an OLED and realising just how much baby sitting I have to do with regards to this TV (Sony A85 65"). 

I did a fair amount of research before purchasing and most of them said

'OLED has come a long way and the problems of the past shouldn't be as apparent'.

'As long as you don't watch the same TV channel all day you will be fine'. 

etc etc. 

However, knowing this was an expensive TV, I wanted to ensure I was doing the right thing. This is what Sony say:

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/articles/00173479

Organic EL displays (OLED) may experience image retention if an image is continuously displayed for a long period of time or the same image is repeatedly displayed. This is due to the characteristics of the materials used to achieve high-definition imaging. To protect your TV screen, avoid using images that may cause image retention.

Causes

• Content with black bars either on the top and bottom or the left and right sides of the screen, such as a letterbox or 4:3 screen
  • Static images such as photos
  • Video games that might have static content in some part of the screen
  • On-screen menus, program guides, and channel logos
  • Static content from apps
  • On-screen tickers, such as those used for news and headlines

What is Long? What is Repeatedly? There is no definition. Is it three hours at a time? Is it 2 hours per day? is it 5 hours per day? Is it 20 minutes at a time? 

Also logos are on EVERY channel on TV set top boxes. 

Black bars are on 99% of movies - we can't watch these movies?

I called Sony about the logos on football games. The rep said to me 'no longer than 60 minutes for the static logos'. What??? 

I asked 'If I watch a football game, then I change it at half time, can I then watch the second half?'. The rep LAUGHED and said, no actually that wouldn't really help. So I asked what should I do? I don't understand the rules. 

He said, well it would be better to have an LCD. 

Honestly, if OLEDs are THIS limiting in what you can view and there is no accurate definition anywhere, this should either:

A: Not be excluded in the warranty

B: The extreme limitations of the technology should be at the point of sale or on the advert of the TV on the retailer's page.  

Can someone from Sony define what LONG and REPEATEDLY means in the context of watching a TV?

1 REPLY 1
Choonzy
New

I think you're over worrying. 

I had one of the original pioneer 2nd gen  plasmas back in 1999 to 2009  which were rebound for screen burn.. and in the 10 years of use I never suffered any burn retention issue. Just be sensible.. dont watch the same channel  days on end and you'll be fine.

As for films , I can't see an issue as if it's black bars top and bottom then there's no lit led's so they can't suffer burn in.( black = led off). however long term logos are a different issue.so just be sensible and don't use it as a pub tv showing sky sports 12 hrs a day 7 days a a week.

Failing that return it and get a Samsung qled..similar quality picture and no burn issues at all