Join now - be part of our community!

gigabit Sony XH90 TV

SOLVED
profile.country.LT.title
daxazz222
Explorer

gigabit Sony XH90 TV

It's really pity that Sony TVs do not have gigabit ethernet port, only 10/100. 

High bitrate videos lags (buffering/skips) because they use more than 100 mbps of the traffic. 

Is there any way to have 1 Gbps in TV, despite using wifi ? Maybe like using usb 3.0 gigabit adapter? Anyone has experience ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

Yup - its a disappoint on a lot of TV's.

I have gigabit fibre and the only solution was to switch to wifi.

On a wired connection I was maxing at 80Mbps download

On wifi I get around 200-400Mbps

Amazing manufacturers penny pinch on a few quids worth of gigabit adaptors in this day and age where fibre is becoming more common. Particularly on high end TV's we fork out thousands of pounds to buy.

I bought a gigabit USB->network port.

I can report that it doesn't work in the TV. The USB's on my Sony AF8 are apparently for external storage plug ins only.

Streaming 4k movies from my home server on wired or wifi to the TV was just too flaky so I now stream to my Nvdida shield which is wired to the server at 1Gb and then connected (via an AVR) hdmi to the TV - i.e. take the TV poor speed out of the equation.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.DE.title
Peter_S.
Genius

Hi,

An external adapter won't work afaik.

Usually 100Mbps should be fast enough to stream content.

Cheers

Peter

profile.country.LT.title
daxazz222
Explorer

It's fast enough to stream content from Netflix, but not fast enough to stream particular 4k movies from my NAS.

WIFI is not very stable too.

I'm a bit surprised why Sony cannot put 1 Gbps port to their TVs. Instead of it they use 2006 year port :))

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

No tv on the market spots a gigabit ethernet port, there should be a reason...

profile.country.GB.title
Mchaggis69

Yup - its a disappoint on a lot of TV's.

I have gigabit fibre and the only solution was to switch to wifi.

On a wired connection I was maxing at 80Mbps download

On wifi I get around 200-400Mbps

Amazing manufacturers penny pinch on a few quids worth of gigabit adaptors in this day and age where fibre is becoming more common. Particularly on high end TV's we fork out thousands of pounds to buy.

I bought a gigabit USB->network port.

I can report that it doesn't work in the TV. The USB's on my Sony AF8 are apparently for external storage plug ins only.

Streaming 4k movies from my home server on wired or wifi to the TV was just too flaky so I now stream to my Nvdida shield which is wired to the server at 1Gb and then connected (via an AVR) hdmi to the TV - i.e. take the TV poor speed out of the equation.

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

It's an old discussion already done several time. It would be better of course to have more bandwidth also on a TV but mostly useless. Apart from own video on a 4k camera a bitstream so high on a movie can be reached only (and not on all) uhd bluray and if you own it you probably would prefer to use the uhd bd player in that case not a Nas.